Thursday, April 11, 2013

Throwback Thursday: March 2012 Edition

This is why I could never blog full time. I just don't get around to it if other areas of life take precedence. My readers would abandon me for sure! However, I do get around to it eventually, so here is the next installment of Throwback Thursdays, two Thursdays late. March 2012 was a good month. Imperfect. Funny. Challenging. Productive. Stretching. Encouraging.

Friday, March 2, 2012
"I read Genesis 3-4 today. I had forgotten that Adam and Eve had another son besides Cain and Abel, Seth. After he entered the picture and started his family, scripture says, “Then men began to call on the name of the LORD.” (Genesis 4:26) Seth and Enosh (his son) literally went down in history as the first men to actively pursue God! What a place."

Friday, March 9, 2012
"I suppose I hate sin. Bah. I can't fix the world!! My mind knows the truth: that I know the One who can and is fixing the world (well, saving a people out of a sinful world). But my heart doesn't always grasp this life-altering concept. What comes with it? Peace. And my heart stills."

Thursday, March 15, 2012
[speaking about my church choir] "I just love that group, and I love how Mr. Kenny is leading us. He is creating more than a singing group - he is creating a close-nit family of believers who can share needs and praises that happen to sing together, too. I love it. I think we all need it."
(still feel this way)

Saturday, March 17, 2012
"I read through one of my old calendars today and discovered that Sunday, March 18, 2007 was our first visit at Grace Bible. Tomorrow is Sunday, March 18, 2012. Exactly five years. I can't believe it. I may or may not cry tomorrow at church, just realizing how I've grown over that time, all the people I've come to know and genuinely love, and how God has changed my heart. Faithful."

Sunday, March 18, 2012
"For the first time ever, I feel fully connected to my church and community. I walk around church as if I'm home, completely comfortable. I love it. Not only have I never been used to local life and the majority of my life taking place in one town, I've also never been accustomed to ongoing conversation with people I see every few days. It's so subtle, yet makes a massive difference in my life. I'm more used to doing broad, overall life catch ups with people from across the country or family I don't see often. Now when I see people around town or at church we just pick up where we left off, like we never went our separate ways."
(This concept still thrills my soul. A year later, I'm still basking in the rich, wonderful local life God has given me at this time in my life.)

Monday, March 19, 2012
"Laura and I made our tiny dinner and it was absolutely hilarious. Everything from a tiny grater, boiler, and wooden spoon, to baking dish, whisk, and ice cream maker! We had fun."
(One year anniversary of Tiny Things!)

Sunday, March 25, 2012
"Bad morning, awesome afternoon and evening. I was stressed this morning for a number of stupid reasons, and then almost cried in choir because they're so understanding and I'm so stupid. I love them. So much."
(HAHAHA. I remember that morning. It was just as bad as I make it sound. And my choir was just like I said they were.)

[speaking about October Baby] "I've never cried that hard in a movie (besides maybe Flipper, but that's another story)."

Monday, March 26, 2012
"While at U of M I actually had a frustrating conversation with my test administrator while Austin was finishing his test. I can tell that she is convinced that I have missed out on a vital phase of life - the college phase - and feels genuinely sorry for me. It's SO frustrating because there is no way for me to convey my life to her. She has no idea all that I've experienced. She can't see me leading hundreds of young people at TeenPact National Convention, or me strolling around Paris, or sleeping in a car with three others guys outside Melbourne, Australia. One specific experience that she mentioned was "eating ramen noodles every day!" I didn't think of it at the time, but now my thought is, "what about cooking ramen noodles in the middle of the night over an open fire in the Australian outback with foreigners you've met only once before in your life??" But then I realize that the reason that it bothers me so much is because I care too much about what people think. Of course she can't understand my life - it's pretty radically different in a few ways. It's okay."
(Yeahh, remember that. You can ask Austin (who was there taking a CLEP test as well) to verify that I ranted about it all the way back to the car, heh. I still struggle with whether people understand me or judge the way I have lived my life, but I still wouldn't change anything. It also helps me remember that you just don't know everything about a person - the reasons they've made decisions and chosen various paths - and that it's only a waste of time to judge them. I'd much rather be encouraging and loving.)

a few March 2012 photos...

Karah, Katheryne and Laura at the March Movie Night; out at good ol' Dan's
I was studying World Religions.


and I got to see one of my favorites for an afternoon, my TeenPact Intern Sister Bryn Goode

It was the perfect catch up.

No comments:

Post a Comment